Sunday, July 20, 2008

Late to the SATC Party

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I just finished all 6 seasons of HBO’s “Sex and the City.” Of course, I saw the movie with some friends without having ever really followed the show. And after seeing everything SATC has to offer, I’m very glad I waited to catch up. If I’d watched as an unmarried 20-something, I think my whole idea of life would’ve reached levels of unrealism only previously achieved through Disney movies.

On its own, it’s real entertainment. These fictional women live lives revolving around dramatically interesting men, fantastic clothes, and shoes that might make even Imelda Marcos jealous. If you dig a little deeper, you realize these fictional women face many of the same day-to-day challenges we all do. They get pimples, gain weight, break up, make up, and want to fit back into their “skinny jeans.”

But I guess that’s my point. Who really ever fits back into their “skinny jeans?” It’s impossible to believe a life of revolving men (and shoes) is possible. Personally speaking, I’m thankful my life doesn’t revolve around shoes and men. Granted, my life revolves around my iPhone these days, but I’d rather live vicariously through SATC than try to emulate it.

No comments: