Monday, July 14, 2008

A Night at the Movies

I spent my Saturday night at our local movie theater. We saw the Will Smith film “Hancock.” I know reviews were not necessarily kind to this film, but I confess to being entertained (which is all I ever ask for in a movie). 

That being said, I don’t understand why parents feel they can bring their 2-7 year old children to adult-themed movies. A family came in 10 minutes after the film started & was forced to split up because the place was packed. That created havoc as the kids wanted to switch the parent they were sitting with throughout the course of the movie. They got up & moved around at  least four times during a 2 hour movie. This resulted in constant movement & talking & my feet getting stepped on. The seemingly youngest child would not sit down & kept grabbing the chair in front of him & my husband’s knee to steady himself.

 And Mom’s response? Priceless. “Oh, I’m so sorry. My kids are all over the place!”

 Pretty sure I knew that already.

 So here’s my thing: children don’t belong at adult-themed movies. If you don’t have a babysitter, then Blockbuster is just going to have to do for the evening. It’s not fair to the rest of the movie-going community who paid money to see the film to be forced to listen to your children and have their collective feet stepped on. 

And that’s my night at the movies.

No comments: